Rochdale Mens 2nd team, after a fine performance the previous week, were facing Golborne and just like the Mens 1st team knew that this was going to be a close and exciting game.

Rochdale, again set up in the new formation and were ready to attack from the off.  This was more than evident in the way the game started with Rochdale’s high press forcing Golborne right back against their own D. Within the first 5 minutes Rochdale had already several shots, with Aaron Hunter eventually taking his opportunity and putting Rochdale in front with a thunderous goal leaving Golborne clearly taken aback.

The high press, which Rochdale are working hard on, was again paying dividends and Golborne had no answer to it. Golborne were resorting to hits straight thorough the middle handing possession over to Rochdale time and time again. Anytime a Golborne attack did break through, the defensive line of Karl Wynn, Dave Marlow and Sam Wilkinson quickly stopped their progress and were vital to the way that Rochdale were playing.

Rochdale with an air of confidence and were playing well and frustrating the Golborne defence and midfield and the frustration came to a head when Peter Ransome went in for a tackle and a wild swing from the Golborne midfielder missed the ball but connected with Ransome’s arm, ruling him out of the rest of the game, which was a blow to Rochdale as he had been playing superbly.

Rochdale were still seeking a second goal and when captain Dean Close lifted the ball over the defenders stick to Scott Hempsall-Jones, he caught it on the half volley and put it in the back of the net. For a half time score of 2-0 to Rochdale.

At the beginning of the second half Rochdale started a bit more complacent and playing with the air of a team that were moments away from a win, allowing the Golborne attack to build. But once again Sam Wilkinson was always alert to the dangers being presented. However in a cruel twist of fate a Golborne shot caught a Rochdale foot on the way to a possible goal earning a penalty flick. All eyes were on Rochdale keeper, Brian Robinson. Robinson dived the correct way but the ball clipped the post and deflected in for 2-1.

Rochdale knew they weren’t clear now and started to press really hard earning a couple of short corners with some brilliant runs into the D by Kieran Hunter. With a well worked short Ccorner routine Bjorne Brauns put the game to bed scoring with a brilliant shot.

Captain Dean Close. “Rochdale played very well today against a good team. The new formation and the high press were effective and the young players such as Kieran Hunter, Peter Ransome and Sam Wilkinson are showing their worth as team players. It is always great to see something we have been working hard on in training come alive in a match and our game managment for the last 10 minutes was superb”.

The Flying Horse Man of the Match Aaron Hunter.