Rochdale travelled to Bury to play the reverse fixture which saw both teams draw.  This would prove to be a different game as the pitch conditions were not great with mud patches on some of the key areas. This would just be another obstacle to overcome as Rochdale took only a bare 11.

Rochdale’s game plan was the reverse the trend of recent weeks and not lose touch of the game within the first 10 minutes. Starting with a high press and hard work Rochdale didn’t allow the Bury players much time on the ball.

Rochdale managed to survive the initial period and were feeling comfortable in the game until Bury managed to get a flurry of short corners. Rochdale defended well, but a very well drilled Bury team looked to put the ball on a Rochdale foot, each time to be awarded another short corner. This would ultimately worked and Bury managed to score the opening goal of the game, and at half time Rochdale went in a goal down. 

With the start of the second half Rochdale continued with the constant pressing and pressure being applied to the Bury defence. Rochdale managed to retain the ball and were camped in the Bury half for most of the game. Again and again the Rochdale attack were constantly prying their way into the Bury D. With most of the Bury team now behind the ball, they cleared it out ,only for it to meet Peter Ransome. Who then drove to the edge of the D and squared the ball to Dean Close who’s slap hit sent the keeper the wrong way to bring the scores level.

The game then started to ebb and flow for both teams with both having good attempts at goal being stopped by the keepers. It would however be the final attack on the Rochdale goal that would ultimately be the deciding factor. With the Bury player going unchallenged from the halfway line he shot from just off the top of the D and before anyone could react, it was already in the back of the net.

Captain Karl Wynn “We were very unlucky to come away with the loss. The team played well but we just need to be more clinical inside the D”.

The Atticus Promotions Man of the Match went to Luke Rosebury.